This is a fridge pickle with a shelf-life of around 3 weeks. It is quick and easy to make and totally delicious.
1 pound/ 450g beetroot, washed and trimmed
1 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
Zest and juice of 2 limes
2 tblsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp green peppercorns
Small amount of oil for roasting the beetroot
- Pre- heat the oven to 375 F / 190 C / Gas mark 4.
- Place the beetroot in a roasting pan, drizzle with a small amount of oil and cover tightly with foil.
- Cook until tender, but still firm. Allow to cool and then peel.
- Cut the beetroot into quarters and then smaller wedges. Place in a bowl and mix with olive oil and lime zest.
- Place beetroot into a warm, sterilised jar or container.
- Put lime juice, sugar, salt and peppercorns in a small pan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Put this mixture over the beetroots, cover and then cool before placing in the fridge.