This dish can be prepared well in advance, then browned up in the oven before serving. If re-heating from cold it will need 30 minutes in a moderately hot oven-180-200 C.
The mash for this dish can be as simple or as special as you like. Either mash up the potatoes quickly by hand, adding butter, salt and pepper, or pop everything in the processor to make a perfect pomme puree. This can then be piped or spooned over the sausage. For a quick finish, just smooth over the mash and roughen up with a fork or make a pattern with the inside of a dessertspoon.
1 lb sausages
2 tblsp oil for frying
1 tblsp flour
½ pint vegetable stock or water.
- Fry the sausages in 1 tblsp oil and put them into a pie dish
- Fry the sliced apples and onions in the remaining oil in another pan and add to the sausages
- Brown the flour in the sausage pan and add salt and pepper.
- Slowly add the stock to the flour mix and boil up.
- Pour this over the sausages
- Cover with a layer of mashed potato and brown in a moderate oven