This recipe was shared by the wonderful Darlene A. Costello de Vega. It was her traditional family recipe, which very soon became a favourite in my family too. It is a batter- style sponge using oil, not butter and it is SO EASY to make!
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
15 ounces of pumpkin puree (use fresh pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded, chopped and cooked in a pan with a little water until soft. Reduce to a puree in a blender).
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Icing sugar to finish
- Pre heat the oven to 350 F or 180 C. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt tin and shake out excess flour
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds, stirring well after each addition to mix and combine the ingredients.
- Transfer batter to prepare tin and bake for 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted near the centre, comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 5 or so minutes. Turn the cake out of the tin onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely and sift with icing sugar before serving.