“Get in touch with your inner hippy”
The hedgerows in Devon are full of the scent of Elderflower blooms, those magical mille fiori blossoms which speak of Summer and blue skies. Time to make Elderflower Champagne! It’s easy to make and requires just a few simple ingredients. Go on; get in touch with your inner hippy this weekend as you forage in the hedgerows. It won’t be long before those corks are popping!
6-7 Elderflower heads in full bloom
1 gallon (8 pints) cold water
1 1/2lbs sugar
2 tblsp white wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon, then cut the rind into quarters and place this with the Elderflowers in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and vinegar then pour over the cold water and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Cover and leave to steep for 24 hours in a cool place.
- Strain and bottle in strong, sterilised, screw-top wine bottles or champagne bottles with plastic corks and wires.
- Ready in 2-3 weeks. Serve chilled.
Have a great weekend!